This family recipes dates back to living in the Carolinas...
Inspired by his favorite pizza shop there, Bill (my hubs,) set out to make our own version after moving to Georgia.
Here's What you'll Need:
- Pita pockets
- Chicken Breasts or thighs (Boneless Skinless, season as desired)
- Mayo, Honey Mustard or Spread of Your Choice
- Cheese, We prefer Smoked Provolone
- Italian Dressing or our Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
[Lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, avocado, microgreens, cucumbers all are great add ins. Mine had spoiled for this meal....oh well.....it happens!]
- Cook your chicken as desired. [We cook on our stovetop or grill.]
- Let rest and slice thin, like this:
- Wrap pitas in a damp paper towel and microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Then, Add mayo or spread to inside.
- Next, I like to use the sliced cheese to hold the chicken and salad dressing or sauce in a little better.....Like this:
Finally, load your pita pocket however you like...or your picky kids....or those of us with food allergies need.
How did I eat mine?
Cheese wrap style...with our Buttermilk ranch Dressing on top.
How can it please everyone?
My kids go without cheese, maybe a honey mustard....this is one of the few meals we cook that everyone can enjoy in their own way.
Oh - and did I mention how amazing these are as left overs? They're great cold too! They've been on many a family camping trip as a satisfying quick grab!
Here's what our basic Chicken Pita looked like last night......I almost grabbed a pork tenderloin to try too....maybe next time!
Pic Below: The Finished Pocket