I love a good stock or sauce.....
Starting with quality soup bones always makes them perfect!
Read on to see how I can make an amazing red sauce (Rustic Red Sauce in the store) or bone stock a.k.a. Bone broth starting the bones the same way.
- Soup bones (neck bones and marrow bones also work!)
- 1 pack of JR Onion Soup Mix
- Tomato sauce and diced tomatoes if making red sauce
- Roasting pan
- For red sauce, enough tomato crushed & diced to cover bones
- Pot large enough to cover bones in water or tomato sauce
- Turn on oven to 400 degrees
- Place bones in roasting pan.
- Place bones in oven. Do not add any seasoning yet.
- Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- After 30 mins, remove and add spice pack on top.
- Roast an other 15 minutes and remove from oven.
These time and temps can be adjusted to your preference. Your goal is to roast the bones to a rich / brown appearance to add that essence to your end product.
7. Once You've removed the bones from the oven, place in pot and cover with either water (for stock or broth) or crushed / diced tomatoes for a red sauce.
8. Add onion soup mix packet.
9. Simmer as long as you can!
I will often cook this for 2 days at home. Cook it one day, let it cool. Place pot in fridge overnight and cook through a 2nd day.
10. Remove the bones & Season as preferred and enjoy!